Sunday, June 26, 2011

Soap and More Soap

Thursday morning we gathered up our supplies and went to my mother in laws so we could make soap.

The day started off pretty bad, our scale seemed to be really off and once sorting the supplies we discovered we had only half the lye we thought we did.
I pulled out our other scale and we played with them for a bit and then got to work.

One of my many lovely oil stirring assitants
We did FOUR 5lb batches and a 2.5lb batch---72 bars total!! Hoping to go to town and get more lye to knock out another 20-30lbs.

Most of the stuff I made was very common to us (Sandalwood, Jasmine, Relaxing and Dragons Blood) but one (the 2.5lb batch) was an experiment. I had bought some shreaded loofah from Bramble Berry early this spring and after sorting out the supplies I decided I wanted to make an Energy with loofah bar. It looks and smelles amazing. I am anxiously waiting to cut into it and see the loofah pieces. From the top it looks like grated peels of lemon or orange. I will post back how it turns out when we use a bar in 4-6 weeks.
A presoak of the loofah in melted oils

See the flecks of Loofah it looks beautiful!!

On Saturday after Farmers Market we went back over there to cut and stack them all the bars and since we had time we made 15lbs more.


 We did the a Mocha blend using coffee as the base with some cocoa powder blended in (hense the Mocha name), some Chai Tea, and Cucumber Melon.

That will make a total of 120 bars ready for testing on July 23.

I plan on trying some new soap for my vegan customers that will use no milk or creams and all animal free oils. I am troubled as to what scent to make it though. If you want to help decide check out our website and see all the types I can make.
Here is the first 72 bars. Notice the top right one is gelling already :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice work! The loofah one sound interesting. I'll have to check out the new scents next time we're in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool to make your own soap. It never occurred to me, to be honest. I am a simple girl, I would love that vanilla bean scent... Or how about peppermint for the holidays... That would be really nice!

    ReplyDelete