Sunday, June 26, 2011

Solar Oven Pizza

This past week we had some of the most amazing weather of the year, sun was shinning and the wind was gone. Monday I did odds and end work and mid day I realized it would have been a great time to use the Sun Oven we have if I had planned it in the morning. With the excessive winds this year I haven't had the chance. So I planned it on Tuesday.

I had some frozen dough in the freezer so I set it out to thaw, about 4hrs later it was ready.

 I did discover that my pizza stone didn't fit inside the oven so I had to use a pizza tray and a normal tray. I also decided I wanted to try and bake them together, stacked like in the real oven.
 It took 30 mins to prebake the crust, then on went the toppings---tomato sauce, pepperoni, mozzerella and on 1 pizza some spinach. I then put them back in and restacked them and set a timer for 40mins.


Perfect timing since my oven was losing sun. The one on the pizza tray was perfect, crust crisp and everything. The one on the flat tray needed to go in my oven for 10mins at 350 to crisp up.

All in all it was great!! I am going to borrow some smaller pizza stones to see how they work and if they do great we will be purchasing 2-3 and then try to build a little shelf to hold them on in the oven.

I am looking forward to trying more foods in the solar oven this summer.

If you have solar cooking experience please share some of your tips and tricks??

1 comment:

  1. Pizza looks fantastic! I would never have thought a solar oven would do so well!

    ReplyDelete